Key things you should know about how we use your information:
- We may use your information (and the information of those travelling with you) for purpose of completing travel bookings.
- This includes sharing your booking information with other parties to fulfil your booking.
- We also may engage other third-party vendors who provide services or functions on our behalf.
- Where you choose to receive marketing information, we will let you know about any special offers that may be of interest to you, including our loyalty programs. You are able to opt-out at any time.
- From time to time and usually following an interaction with us, we may ask you for your feedback to provide you and others with better service.
- If you are using our Services outside the United States, please be aware that your information may be transferred to, stored, and processed in the United States where our servers are located and our central database is operated. Please rest assured that we take appropriate steps to protect your privacy and security.
What personal information do we collect and why?
The personal information that we may collect about you broadly falls into the following categories:
- Information that you provide directly to us
We may ask you to provide personal information directly to us. For example, we may ask you to provide your contact details such as full name, street address, telephone number, email address, and date of birth as necessary, in order to, for example:
- enable your travel booking;
- create or register an account with us;
- provide the services and information you request such as details about your booking;
- have an emergency contact number for you;
- update frequent flyer or loyalty program information;
- subscribe you to our marketing communications; and/or
- submit enquiries to us.
You will also need to provide your billing information (such as credit card number, cardholder name and expiration date) to make a payment.
You may also be required to provide information about any other travelers on your booking, your marketing preferences, and additional information if you participate in a survey or competition. When creating an account, you will provide a login name/member ID as well as a password.
Your personal information may also be linked to Cookies to enable the proper operation of our Online Services, store your travel searches on our Online Services, and collect information on how you used our Online Services. For more information, please see the “Cookies and similar tracking technology” section below.
If you’re an employee of a corporate account, a vendor or other type of business partner such as a property owner, property manager, travel agent, other information collected can include employer, employee identification number, or other relevant details.
We may also use your personal information for other purposes described in the “How we use your information” section below.
o Special Categories of Personal Information
Certain types of personal information, such as some government-issued identification numbers, religion, health or sexuality, are considered sensitive and require additional protection under applicable laws. We take appropriate steps to limit the circumstances under which we may collect sensitive personal information; examples of this information include the following:
- Health-related information may be needed to provide appropriate travel accommodation and accessibility or facility requirements.
- Government-issued identification numbers like passport or driver’s license number may be required for flights, vehicle rental or other travel reservation.
- Other information that you can specify at your option and which may imply or suggest information like religion, health or other information, such as dietary needs.
- Information Voluntarily Provided About Your Travel Companion(s)
When you make a reservation for someone else through our Online Services, we will request personal information and travel preferences about that individual. You should obtain the consent of any other individual(s) prior to providing us with their personal information and travel preferences. Your travel companion's information will only be available to view and amend through your account. Should your travel companion want to amend or delete their information themselves they can contact us directly at the information in the “Contact Us” section at the bottom of this policy.
- Information that we collect automatically
When you visit us on our Online Services, we may collect certain information automatically from your device. In some countries, including countries in the European Economic Area, this information may be considered personal information under applicable data protection laws.
Specifically, the information we collect automatically may include, but is not limited to, information like your IP address, device type, unique device identification numbers, browser-type (such as Firefox, Safari, or Internet Explorer), your Internet Service Provider (ISP), your operating system and carrier. For website users, details of any referring website or exit pages as well as broad geographic location (e.g., country or city-level location) may also be collected.
We may also collect other technical information such as how your device has interacted with our Online Services, including the pages accessed and links clicked, for example, trips viewed and the time and date of these.
Collecting this information enables us to better understand the visitors who come to our Online Services, where they come from, and what content on our Online Services is of interest to them. We use this information for our internal analytics purposes and to improve the quality and relevance of our Online Services for our visitors, for example, to customize your user experience, tailor your searches and show you advertisements that may be of interest. We may also use this automatic information to prevent and detect fraud.
Some of this information may be collected using cookies and similar tracking technology, as explained further under the heading “Cookies and similar tracking technology.”
- Information we collect when you use Apps
When you use one of your smart phone app, tablet app, or applications for other platforms (collectively “App” or “Apps” as applicable), we may also collect, for example:
- Information about the functionality of the Apps you access and use. This allows us to identify those areas of the Apps that are of interest to our customers so that we can refine and continuously improve the Apps.
- Your device’s unique device identifier (“UID”). Each App sends us the device's UID, a sequence of numbers or characters that are unique to your device. We use this on the first opening of the App so that we can confirm to our advertising networks the number of downloads resulting from clicks on their respective ad banners and other marketing tools. When an email address is provided, we associate this with your current UID/cookie ID for the purposes of providing a seamless experience across your devices.
- Information about your current location. When you use an App’s ‘find hotels near your current location’ or similar features that suggest relevant content based on location, or otherwise provide location-based services, we use information about your current location – provided by your device using GPS or similar technologies – to show relevant content or other localized information. We do not collect location data unless you expressly use a location-based feature, and you can switch off location data collection at any time through your phone settings menu.
- Error reporting information. This enables us to investigate the error and to improve the stability of the App for future releases. As part of these error reports, the App sends us information about the mobile device type and version, the UID, the time the error occurred, the feature being used and the state of the application when the error occurred. We may use this information to investigate and remediate the error and to assist you in completing an impacted booking.
You have the ability to control what information an App sends to us. You can exercise this control either by changing the settings of the App under its setting menu or changing the settings of your mobile device. Alternatively, you can remove the App from your device entirely and access our services through our website.
- Information that we obtain from third party sources
Periodically, we lawfully obtain personal information about you from affiliated entities, business partners and other independent third-party sources and add it to our account information. Examples of information we may receive includes updated contact information like email, purchase history, and demographic information.
- Information we collect when you communicate with us via the following methods
When using a social media feature, if you have chosen to include personal information in your social media account, we may access information such as your name, profile picture, gender, birthday, email address, town or district and any other information you have chosen to make available. Subject to your privacy settings, we access information that you provide to a social media provider regarding your respective locations (“Location Data”) to provide you with relevant content. We do not store or use any data related to the friends you are connected with on a social media site.
- Cookies and similar tracking technology
- To help us recognize you as a previous visitor and save and remember any preferences that may have been set while your browser was visiting our site.
- To help us customize the content and advertisements provided to you on this website and on other sites across the Internet. For example, when you access a page on our website, a cookie is automatically set by us, our service providers, or our partners to recognize you as you navigate on the Internet and to present you with information and advertising based on your apparent interests. See “Display of Tailored Advertising” section below for more information about our online advertising practices and your choices.
- To help measure and research the effectiveness of website features and offerings, advertisements, and email communications (by determining which emails you open and act upon).
The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to request to disable cookies. Please note that if you refuse to accept cookies, you may not be able to access many of the travel tools offered on our sites.
In addition to the above cookies, we may use Local Shared Objects, also referred to as "flash cookies," on our web site. These are used to enhance your user experience, for example, by storing your user preferences and settings, such as your volume/mute settings, and in connection with animated content on our website. Local Shared Objects are similar to browser cookies but can store data more complex than simple text. To find out more about flash cookies or how to disable them, please visit: Flash Player Help site.
This site may also use Web beacons (also known as clear gifs, pixel tags or Web bugs), which are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies, that are placed in the code of a Web page. We use Web beacons to monitor the traffic patterns of users from one page within our sites to another, to deliver or read cookies, to understand whether you have come to our site from an online advertisement displayed on a third-party website, and to improve site performance. We also may allow our service providers to use Web beacons to, for example, help us understand which emails have been opened by recipients and to track the visitor traffic and actions on our site. This helps us measure the effectiveness of our content and other offerings.
We may combine the information you give us with information related to your transactions and information we receive about you from third parties who carry out services on our behalf. The information received via Cookies and similar technologies may allow us to track your activities across devices and users' clickstream data associated with the Cookies